Sunday, September 07, 2008

This ain't Kansas, Toto!

If I were to tell you on this blog that I had discovered the cure for cancer, you might think I am crazy or that I am like Sean Connery in the movie, Medicine Man. Well, I have not found the cure for cancer (wish I had!). What I have discovered is a way to bring the Kingdom of God to the lost of the 21st century. Like Dorothy in the movie version of the Wizard of Oz, this does not look like Kansas, the familiar landscape of the past, traveled on the Roman Road. But like, Toto, I want to share with you what I found when I pulled the curtain back on evangelism and revealed the wizard behind it.

Hear me up front! God is the only one who saves. The Holy Spirit draws a person to God. How we as beleivers assist in that process, fulfilling the Great Commission, is to listen to the lost person's story and mirror that story back to the lost person. The aha! moment in salvation occurs at the intersection of God's self-revealing story of salvation and the lost person's story.

What I have to offer is training, coaching, and equipping with the listening skills to hear the cry for help from a lost person and stay in the conversation as the lost person begins to hear their own story.

That way the witness stays with what the lost person has given and does not intrude. There is no one way to do Story Listening Evangelism, only listening with prayerfully sharpened and sensitive listening skills, one person at a time.

If you are interested in this cutting-edge, paradigm-shift approach to sharing your faith, e-mail me at epizard@verizon.net. I will send you a cognitive map in PowerPoint introducing Story Listening Evangelism. Then we can talk about how I can provide training and coaching to you, your congregation, or a group of interested witnesses.

It all begins with the first thing a lost person says to you....

No comments: